- From “Civil rights activist, Southwest Minnesota State University professor reflect on Martin Luther King Jr’s legacy at MTSU”: McLemore stated that he was a student at the University of Massachusetts Amherst when he heard on the radio about King’s death in Memphis, Tennessee, and Kolnick was riding in a car as a nine year old nine-year-old with his mother in Los Angeles when he heard the announcement on the radio.
- From “Rappers Lil Yachty, Blackbear blow the roof off Murphy Center for MTSU spring concert”: The slated headliners were new-wave new wave rappers Lil Yachty and Blackbear.
- From “Ethan Phillips, The Schwa, Exiled to Earth, Ill Spector play diverse sets at Bonhoeffer’s”: Ethan Phillips headed the evening’s lineup—just a man and his guitar—and played a good mix of covers and classic covers. ((This was not an opinion article, and “good” is subjective.))
- and 5. From “Ethan Phillips, The Schwa, Exiled to Earth, Ill Spector play diverse sets at Bonhoeffer’s”: The Schwa is band featuring Eric Intile, Cooper Phillips, Garrett Victor and Connor Stith. They describe themselves as a “Post post-garage rock band of the early 2000’s 2000s.”
6. From “Softball: Blue Raiders swept in doubleheader at No. 20 Kentucky”: The Wildcats Wildcats’ high-powered offense was too much for MT, as they were swept in the series with a 12-1 final score in the first game and a 10-1 in the second.
7. From “Tennessee Justice Center leads rally to increase awareness about affordable health care at first Tennessee General Assembly meetings of year”: Chants, such as “bring it home” and “affordable health care now,” rang throughout the capitol building as assembly representatives walked through the double doors and into the chamber.
8. From “Tennessee Justice Center leads rally to increase awareness about affordable health care at first Tennessee General Assembly meetings of year”: “There have been a number of rural hospitals close,” Beziat said. “We’re up to 10 now. 280,000
Two hundred and eighty thousand people in Tennessee alone don’t have access to health care. We’re reminding the legislators that we want our federal money brought back to Tennessee.”
9. From “Opinion: Bruno Mars and the issue of cultural appropriation in pop music”: The term “cultural appropriator” and it’s its less tasteful adjacent “culture vulture” have been thrown around quite a bit in recent times to describe a number of artists in contemporary music.
10. From “‘A new me’: A freshman’s every thought as the semester begins”: Wasn’t it just yesterday that I was a brace-faced, awkward 8th-grader eighth-grader bursting through the doors like I owned the place?
Attending a Student Media Meeting
The meeting was a slow start since it was early in the morning. I mostly stood in the corner and listened to others talk. I spoke briefly with Rusty, the Sports Editor, and had a nice conversation about Sidelines. It was a relatively productive meeting, and I enjoyed watching the people mingle.
Copyediting for Sidelines
I admit that, going into the editing session, I thought I knew a lot and would handle it easily. I ended up looking at the AP Style book a lot more than I imagined. I still knew quite a bit, but it wasn’t enough.
This session taught me that I have a lot more to learn about AP Style guidelines, and I’m okay with that. I know my skill will improve in the future.